ADDING TO THE LEGACY:
ALL THE BEST DOGS
All the best dogs, in the same place, at the same time. It is the legacy that began in 1877 and continues today that makes Westminster, quite simply, America's Dog Show.
The entries are in for the 131st Annual Westminster Kennel Club All Breed Dog Show to be held on February 12-13, 2007 in New York's Madison Square Garden. And those numbers, once again, say it all. It's an entry that includes:
The total entry of 2,500 dogs (which is the limit) comes in all of the 165 breeds and varieties recognized by the American Kennel Club. That entry comes from 48 different states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and at least five foreign countries. Leading the way with the most entries are California (283) and New York (253).
- Every single one of the Top 20 All Breed show dogs and 47 of the Top 50 for 2006
- All of the top 11 Hounds, all of the top 11 Terriers, and all of the top 12 Toys
- Eight of the top nine Sporting dogs, 13 of the top 14 Working dogs, 10 of the top 11 Non-Sporting dogs, and 9 of the top 10 Herding dogs.
- Four Group winners from the 2006 show and two additional Group winners from 2005
- 97 returning Best of Breed winners from 2006 and many additional Best of Breed winners from previous years
- The top five dogs in each breed are invited to pre-enter: In 43 breeds all five invitees entered, and in 64 additional breeds, four of the five invited dogs were entered.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks have the highest entry with 50, while Cavalier King Charles Spaniels have 43. Havanese, French Bulldogs and Labrador Retrievers each have 38, Golden Retrievers and Chinese Cresteds 37.
But after all of those numbers, the ultimate number, however, remains 1: there is only one Westminster.